Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Koolatron Home Yogurt Maker


A few months back I bought a yogurt maker after reading French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano.  I was cautiously optimistic about the idea of making my own yogurt since I prefer to have foods with no added preservatives or fillers.  I got the machine for a very reasonable price, about $25. I made my first batch of yogurt the same day I got it. This machine makes seven 5oz servings in about 8-10 hours.  I hesitated when I took my first bite.
It looked like regular yogurt, with a little water at the top which might have been condensation from the fridge, and surprisingly it was better than the store bought yogurt I regularly buy.  A few things to note.

1) It makes PLAIN yogurt.  I added berries to mine after the fact and it was good.  You cant make it with fruit, you have to make it plain and add flavors later but it's tart, not sweet.
2) It works well with non-fat milk.  I also tried 1% and 2%, as expected those were both a little creamier but even the non-fat was creamy.
3) It lasts about a week.  I tried one after 10 days and it was fine but my husband thought I might die from eating food that old.  I am happy to say I am still here and no worse for the wear.  I'd still eat it at 10 days, but I wouldn't let my husband see.

Some other factors I considered.  The packaging was reasonable for this product.  Plastic machine, glass cups, were shipped in thin plastic bag in a cardboard box.  No Styrofoam or excessive packaging.  I saw no notable indications of social and environmental responsibility except for the claims of low energy usage and the health benefits of yogurt.  All in all I think this is a great product, and at $25, an inexpensive way to make some healthy and nutritious food.

Link: Koolatron Yogurt Maker

I give it a 30/40.....Good Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment